Sunday, March 16, 2014

French Stereotypes: What's true, what's false. Does a truth exist though?? Do I exist????

These are stereotypes that Americans have of French people. This post is made to clarify them.

Disclaimer: These are my experiences after having lived in France for four months. Everyone's experiences are different. This is not meant to offend, in fact I have a whole post about American stereotypes, too. This is made just to have some light fun. Keep in mind, everyone's different. Stereotypes never apply to every single person.

1. The French smell bad.
Fasle(ish). I actually didn't know this was a stereotype until two French people on separate occasions asked me if this one specifically was true. I think they're really self conscious about it actually, because no one wants to smell bad. Obviously this is going to vary from person to person. Not ALL people here smell. In fact, when I was in Grenoble, I never noticed anyone smelling bad, so I definitely can't say all French people smell bad. However, I have to say, I took a little trip to London, and when I came back to Paris I was smacked in the face by the rather unpleasant odors that seem to circulate in the metro. People pee in the metro and stuff, so yeah it smells bad because of that. As for people, BO is something you notice only if you take public transportation and have peoples' armpits shoved in your face for the ride or if you enter a once occupied warm classroom that was filled with sweaty students at a university. It's not like you'll notice it just walking down the street or anything, just when there's a group of people clustered together. Individuals don't smell bad (unless they smoke - all the smokers smell). It just seems to be dense groups of people... And again, I think any noticeable odor just really comes from the ashtray smell that anyone who smokes usually has. 

2. They all wear perfume to cover it up.
False. I've never had trouble breathing because someone dumped a bottle of perfume on themselves. Their perfumes are amazing anyway, so even if that were the case, I wouldn't care.

3. Everyone smokes
True(ish) Not everyone, but way more than in the US, and it's actually socially acceptable here, unfortunately. And yes, this contributes the most to stereotype #1. It's really noticeable though, and it's hard to breathe upon entering the university here. I think literature students (both in France and Spain) just seem to love smoking. (I can't comment on the other parts of the university because I don't go there. I just notice a lot of smokers around ma fac.)

4. They're rude.
False(ish). Only in the metro and other crowded areas. I've lived in the France that's not Paris, and people are so incredibly nice. In Paris, everyone's just stressed out when they're trying to get from A to B. It's like New York. The people in the metro and the bus are the worst during rush hour. At a stop, they'll be like  (in a mean voice) "Je descends ici! PARDON!" Moi aussi, salope. One time this woman barged into the mega-crowded tram, pushed me out of the way, was like "Je dois m'assoir!!!!", and made another woman who was already seated give up her seat for her. I mean, really??? But yeah, this isn't true for all French people. How would you like it if someone said all Americans were rude just because they met some in NYC? And as for the smiling thing, no one is going to smile at you in the streets or wherever you are, but that's because if you smile to someone you don't know it means "Hey lets get it on," and no one wants to be sending that message to strangers in the metro. In America, we think that if someone doesn't smile it's automatically rude, but here smiling to strangers means you're a creep. Also, something I've noticed is that the French are very straight forward. I've never met a French person that beats around the bush for fear of being seen as mean. Brute honesty is just the culture here. Don't take it to heart.

5. They make the best pastries
True. Obviously. They're masters. Masters, I tell you! While we're on this point FAUCHON IS BETTER THAN LADURÉE. In fact, I don't know if this is an actual stereotype, I just like to take every opportunity I can to mention that Ladurée isn't worth the hype because Fauchon kicks its ass. That is all.

6. They have really good style
True. There are going to be those individuals everywhere obviously, but as a whole, people dress really nicely here. It's more formal on a day to day basis. There are some younger guys that will kind of wear more sportier clothes, but they still look put together in general (the track jacket usually matches the sweatpants, and the sneakers are nicer ones). You're never going to see a French person in sweats and sandals with socks or someone that wears New Balance sneakers. If you see someone like that here, he or she is American. 

7. They hate Americans
False. I've never gotten hate just because I'm American. Younger people like Americans actually. Obviously, if you show up anywhere and say, "I'm American, I'm the best, worship me," everyone is going to hate you. So just don't be the loud obnoxious American (especially in the metro. Even I hate hearing that in the metro...), and you should be fine. 

8. The waiters are rude
False(ish). They don't get tips, so don't expect the same customer service you'd get in America, but in my experience, all of the waiters I've had have been fine and always ready to help a sister out. Busy restaurants will be more stressful than smaller ones with fewer customers, so yeah the waiter's not going to have time to stay for a nice chat, but if they go out of their way to be actually rude to you, you're probably just a rude customer and need to reevaluate your life.

9. People will hate you if you don't speak French
False. You should probably open up your conversations in French, but that's just a sign of respect for their language, in my opinion. If a tourist in the US just started talking to me in a language they expected me to understand just because it's a powerful language, I wouldn't know what to do with myself, and things would get awkward real fast.

10. You can't be a vegetarian in Paris
WAY false. I've been a vegetarian for 13 years now (and not a pescatarian), and I have never ever had trouble eating out in France. French cuisine is a bit more difficult because the people love them some meat, but the great thing about Paris is that it's so diverse, you can find any food you want here. What I eat when I go out tends to be not French, but that still means that I've been able to find food. Great for survival, problem for fitting in jeans. If I do want French food though (aside from just desserts), I find that there's always a good vegetarian crêpe or a tarte or something. By the way, I'm going to be doing a whole post on eating in Paris. Food here is too damn good.

No comments:

Post a Comment