Thursday, March 13, 2014

Segovia

Wow. It's been a long time. Sorry y'all. 

If you're wondering where I've been, I've actually been studying in Paris. I've been here since January 2nd. 

I'm horrible.

But really, I'm horrible. En fait, I'm only writing on this blog right now because A) One of my friends updated his, and I got a huge guilt trip, and B) I'm procrastinating going to sleep. Do you ever do that? I have to go to sleep and wake up for my 8am class tomorrow (that might not happen...), but I just don't feel like going through those last before bed processes. Mais c'est la vie, quoi...

So here I am, realizing that I never told y'all about what happened towards the end of my semester in Spain (I was the weirdo that decided to study abroad in two countries in one year. It's difficult, but the best of both worlds - the French world is really nice, btw...).

To be honest, the semester in Spain as a whole was one of the hardest things I've been through. I had always envisioned study abroad as being this wonderful perfect journey, but it wasn't. In a good way of course. I'm glad it was difficult, because in the end I think I'm a better person for it, more aware of what's actually going on in other places (Spain specifically, and no it's not the dream wonderland I had envisioned), and more prepared for any situation. It definitely made me expect nothing when coming to Paris, which has done wonders to not get too culture-shocked here. In fact, in life as a whole, we should all just expect nothing. Whassapoint? It's always different from what you think.


On that expect nothing note, I'm glad I expected nothing when going to Segovia. 

Because it was all the more INCREDIBLE for it. I think.


I day-tripped there from Madrid. I had to go back to Madrid a few days earlier than my flight home to the US to pick up my French visa, so why not, right?

I took the train there because it was cheap and quick. The train station is kind of dans le milieu de nul part so a bus to the city from there was necessary. And my was it lovely to have a bus drop you off in front of those aqueducts. I mean look at them! I was completely blown away. 


And look! The classic Roma statue. Because Spain was Rome once, too.


Could you imagine looking out your window every morning and seeing that? Me neither. Woah.


The city, as my host mom from Sevilla would say, is preciosa. It's slightly like Toledo, in the way that it's a cute little village situated geographically higher up (military purposes y'all, gotta protect yoself) and surrounded by a wall, although this side was just the aqueduct... ha just the aqueduct. Casual. Mountains border the city and its surroundings. That is pretty damn preciosa.


The main events aside from the aqueducts (according to Rick Steves at least) were the cathedral and the Alcazar. The cathedral was cool. It was mainly the art there that touched me. Especially the painting in the bottom right of this next photo...


I mean, life is just so fleeting. Ya know?


The main event for me though was just walking around aimlessly (aka with no main event in mind). You see below the city, and all the cars down there look like Hot Wheels.


But the Alcazar was pretty cool. I do love me some history.


They also had military chemistry things there, because that's what went down there a while back (this is a picture of a diorama).

After the Alcazar, I just walked around and enjoyed the city. It was beautiful and a great note upon which I could finish my semester in Spain.

I will try to update this blog more. I have some great things to write about Paris, and I of course would love to answer other questions about my experience in Spain, France, or study abroad in general.
Peace out, y'all. It's bed time.

No comments:

Post a Comment