Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Homework and such: Stereotypes of Americans

One of my homework assignments in my French class here in Grenoble was to talk about stereotypes that French people have of Americans. So, I sat down with my host family, and they were able to come up with a lot. Like really, il y en a beaucoup.



1. We love our meat.
True for many people, but I find that there are also a lot of people in the U.S. who are vegetarians or are very health conscious that eat less meat (like me). Having moved to the south last year, I think it's more true for them là-bas.

2. We're all obese
True, 2/3 of people in the states are overweight while the other 1/3 are undernourished. However, I don't really find the obese stereotype to be true. Probably because I live in a bubble called Ann Arbor. Again, the only times I've really seen morbidly obese people in the States, it's been in impoverished cities with bad education systems, or in the south, the only place where I've seen a restaurant called FATZ. Sorry, south.

3. We love beer
I love beer, and almost all my peers love beer, so I don't really know if I can disagree with this. Thoughts down below, please!

4. We're all individualists
I find this to be true for many Americans. However, I think this is the Ann Arbor "bubble" at play, but I know many that would gladly be a part of a big community and give everyone the same opportunities. But there are tons of people that also know that ain't nobody got money for that, and it's a dog-eat-dog world.

5. We're very patriotic
I was told that "you would probably never find a French flag in anyone's house in France, but in every household there's an American flag hanging around." True in the South. True for fraternities. Maybe false for the rest of the people that live in the U.S. I can't even count the times I've heard my peers say how much they hate America and want to move to Sweden. Me? I love my country, and I love even more that I have the right to say I hate it if I wanted to. No place is perfect, but the U.S. is pretty dang cool.

6. We're all calvinistes
My host mom told me that all the religions that are really conservative (protestantism, lutheranism, etc) are just kind of grouped into this word. So that's kind of the big idea. We're all prudes, super religious, and hardworking just so we can get into heaven. That sort of deal. In some areas I would say this is true, (Bible Belt anyone?) but anywhere else, I'd say we're pretty normal and not freaks about our religions (if we even practice at all).

7. We love war/are imperialists
Do we love war, or are we the only ones willing to do something about the world's problems? I kind of find that the U.S. is like Batman. We fight against evil, and if we don't do anything there's a problem, but people still hate us because we fight. Can we do anything without major criticism? Again, thoughts below.

8. Fast-food
I'm not a big fan of fast food (except the veggie burger at Burger King, Subway, and Taco Bell (because it's absolutely delicious in that disgusting way)), and I know plenty of other people that would rather drink formaldehyde than put McDonald's in their mouths. Again, I don't know what to say. I think some people eat fast food because sometimes it's all they can afford, and they don't know how to make/get healthier options. However, a ton of people actually think it's good.

9. All the big athletes come from here
Yeah, probably true, but I don't follow sports all too much, and a ton of good soccer players come from Europe.

10. Parties and frats at universities
Yep. However, fraternities aren't always like what people from other countries see on TV. There are different frats for different people/interests, and not all of them even have the super crazy parties that they're thinking of over here. Also, many frats have very strict no-hazing policies.

11. Everything is possible
Depends where you're born/what family you're born into, but essentially, if you try hard enough and take advantage of your resources, I do think everyone can succeed.

12. Liberty
We are very free to do what we want here if it doesn't harm anyone else (except get married if we're gay (in most states)).

13. Laissez-faire
Yes, except probably too much. You could easily argue that big business is killing our citizens.

14. We're the melting pot of the world
Yes, and I love it. I can't even begin to express how valuable my experiences with people from other cultures in the U.S. has been. We really do have a bit of everything.

15. Oppression of minorities
The Native Americans, African Americans, etc. I would say now that the most oppressed group is definitely the homosexual population of the U.S. Also our undocumented immigrants. I'm absolutely disgusted by our treatment of homosexuals in the "land of the free." But, while I don't condone the major discrimination against undocumented peoples, I do understand where the bad sentiments come from and sympathize. Let's be real, our economy is merde, and when people that aren't citizens come over and take advantage of opportunities you could have had, it probably doesn't make you want to be welcoming.

16. Guns
I know more people that oppose the right to bear arms than people that love it. However, it varies from cities to more rural areas. I have a friend whose family probably has at least thirty guns, but he lives in the country. Most people in my peer group in A2 hate guns.

My thoughts, my experiences (they definitely vary by region/state/city), I would love to hear yours.

Salut!

No comments:

Post a Comment