Sunday, September 15, 2013

Manarola


One day the four of us hiked the five lands. Ours, Riomaggiore, was the last one, and that hike to Manarola (my favorite "terre"), Lover's Walk, was closed. So we took the train there. This is basically the first thing we saw.




It was perfection.


Again, how is this place real???



I jumped off cliffs and stuff. Sorry, mom. I'm pretty sure the one I jumped off of was about 20ft. If you see the pyramid-shaped rock, go to the high point of it, go a little bit down (like a cm) and right to where that cluster of boys is between some boats, that's where I jumped from. It doesn't look like it, but there was very deep water on the other side. It was pretty scary, and a French eight-year-old and I were talking to each other (in French, of course) to procrastinate jumping. I ended up doing it though, so I was quite proud of myself. 


Best place ever. The water was so clear.


We then walked around the city. All of them are up on hills, so if you go to the top, you get some really good pictures. We were on a bridge that let us get a really good view of the main street.


The little apartments just chillin' on the mountain side/vineyards were so cute!


A water wheel that's been there since the 1300s or something like that.


The church's clock tower from below.


HUGE cacti and aloe plants just sprouted everywhere out of the mountains. 


Us walking to the church.


Inside it was really quiet and peaceful.


Hiking along the hills in the vineyard area.


I could live there, I think. Just gotta learn Italian...








It was pretty cool to see wine grapes growing. We tried a few. They were pretty sour, so I'm not sure if they were ripe yet?



We hiked along almost all of that later that day.





View of their burial site, or as Rick Steves called it, "a death condo."



People's "condos."







Preteh flowers.


The viewfest was amazing.





Before heading to the next land, we got some pesto pizza and gelato. The pesto pizza was amazing. Just dripping in pesto, glistening in the sun. Oh god. 

Manarola was definitely the best. 


No comments:

Post a Comment