Saturday, September 14, 2013

Cinque Terre: Riomaggiore




Next stop on the journey was Riomaggiore, one of the lands of Cinque Terre. My train arrived a bit after one o'clock, and I got settled into probably one of the sketchiest hostels ever at two thirty. I then managed to find the people I was traveling with (who had an earlier train), get some amazing pesto focaccia (pesto and focaccia are Cinque's specialties), and then chill at the port for a while. 





I still can't believe this place exists in real life. It's something you'd think you could only find on stumbleupon.


The Mediterranean. 


People hanging out at the port.



Walking around the city's small streets. There were almost no cars because there was hardly any space to drive them. There was just one car that went up and down taking people from one end of Riomaggiore to the next. Europe in general really isn't handicap accessible, but Cinque was definitely not.


The best place to get food ever. "I'll give you a snack" was recommended by Rick Steves in his book on Cinque. We would go there all the time to get 5 euro pasta.


The first night I got pesto gnocchi from Te La Do Io La Merenda. It was probably one of the most delicious things I've ever put in my mouth. The fact that we had dinner on the port watching the sunset that night made it even better. We also bought 2 euro boxed wine which was actually really good. 


We swam a little bit, too, while the sun was setting.



You can hike between the five lands, but the hike from our land to the other was closed because of a flood, I think. The walk is called the "lover's walk." At the hike entrance, everyone would hang a lock from the gate, kind of like the famous bridge in Paris, to seal their love. 





No comments:

Post a Comment